Lahore Sudhar has planned to organize an exhibition dedicated to the living city of Lahore, aimed at exploring, expressing, inventing and unfolding the spirit and form of the city. The city is not merely a static, spatial, functional, geographical place but a breathing, moving, pulsating being, teeming with stories and songs, imagination, wisdom, magic and myth. It is a rich layered site of our shared living. The project is purposed at creating urban knowledge; initiating active interaction with and dialogue about the city and its future.
The exhibition will include photographs, audio/Video recordings and Text about the city. We look forward to developing a thorough, interesting, comprehensive collection with your contributions.
A panel of designers and artists will select and arrange the final exhibition in collaboration with the contributors.
A blog of the exhibition process and final selections will be available on the web. We invite all interested individuals to send us their response before 30th September 2008, so that we may finalize the entries.
- Photographs: minimum 450 x 450 pixels
- Audio/video recordings: Digital format, MP3/Wave, Cd/DVD
- Text: MS word, Inpage or Pdf, any language, English, Urdu, Punjabi, Sindhi, Baluchi or Pashto
Postal address: 41, B3, Gulberg 3, Lahore, Pakistan.
Email: email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Contact person: Rabia Nadir (042-5758897 , 0300-4400573)
The following information must be included,
1. Participant’s Full Name, age & profession
2. Date, Title and Location of the entry
3. Brief Descriptive Write-up about the entry
Categories: A list of categories suggesting ideas, themes, areas and subjects that may be explored for entries follows:
1. Portraits: Lahori characters, ordinary, peculiar, mundane, striking, haunting, amusing
2. Presence of the Past: historical structures; buildings, monuments, areas; shadows of past events and memories as seen in the city
3. Nature: old trees, birds, animals, rivers
4. A Lahori Neighborhood: focused on specific places, faces, activities
5. Shelter: homes, living spaces,
6. Writings: on rickshaws, signs, banners, walls
7. “Rozi Roti”: earning a living in the city; workers, uniforms, workplaces
8. Creative City Spirit: examples of invention, ingenuity, initiative; recycling, crafts
9. Meeting Places: roundabouts, chai khanaas, street pavements
10. Hidden Treasures: images of the lesser known/obvious; architecture, markets, foods and crafts, nooks and corners
11. “The Backstage”: what makes the city function; workers, infrastructure
12. “On the Move”: traveling, commuting in the city
13. “Only in Lahore”: the truly local; indigenous people, happenings, specialties
Awaiting your enthusiastic response!
– Lahore Sudhar